Too many zero pitches

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM
When using the code with even relatively simple sounds (single piano note), I get a lot of pitches with value of 0. If there's a bit of noise, I commonly just get an array of zeros.

Is there is possibility how to set a lower threshold so I get more (even possibly inaccurate) pitches?
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately as you can see I don't maintain this project any more. It has been a long time since I worked on this particular code so I don't remember the details about how to increase the sensitivity.

As it turns out, this algorithm is not good for many types of sounds (the mistake I made was to test it with too few types of sounds). I have since abandoned this particular approach (auto-correlation) and I'm working on a completely different approach that has substantially better results with a very wide range of sounds.

That new approach uses FFT, cepstrum and harmonic theory analysis to determine the most likely fundamental pitch, even in the case of a missing fundamental (e.g some bass guitar notes). It works much closer to the way humans perceive pitch from a complex waveform, so the results are better.

However the new algorithm is still in development so I can't say when I can post it on codeplex. When I do post it, I will update this project so that you would know how to get the new algorithm.
Aug 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Thanks for the swift reply - I was not certain if I get any.

Good luck with your new code! Would you please post a thread here once you publish it?
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM
How is that new project coming along? :) Would love a way to analyse the pitch of a wav file.